Week 11

Well so far I created the first design draft for the homepage of Elif’s site.  Here is what it looks like…

design_abtokbay

As I mentioned in earlier posts, I wanted it to be simple, for Elif’s name and her work to be the focal point.  I think the large image in the homepage accomplishes that.  I stuck with the color scheme I found in kuler, making the red and green work together by adjusting the opacity so it isn’t so harsh and by using them more as accents to break things up subtly.

When I created the wireframe for this design it was looking pretty bare and I was worried it would be too plain so I added those floral shapes to break it up slightly.  Here is what it looks like without the shapes:

design_abtokbay_plain

The Lynda.com courses were so helpful in giving me ideas and the practice on how to use filters in Photoshop to create this draft.  I relied a lot on drop shadows and used them on every element – the header, image, shapes and navigation text.  I even used it on the rectangles to add some more depth.  I used a diffused glow filter on the background and header/footer rectangles to create texture.  I also used a radial gradient for the background, which also added emphasis on the image.  Here’s what it would look like without any of the filters:

design_abtokbay-without

I also ended up changing my mind on the image I originally envisioned for the homepage.  Here is the other picture I was going to use:

Home-Christy

I may end up switching, I’m not sure.  What do you think?

Week 10…Navigation and Wireframing!

For the most part, what I have envisioned for Elif’s site has been based on my own user experience.  This module has taught me that before you decide how you want things to look or lay them out that you have to gather all the information and content first and them organize it based on several points:  the intent of the site, what the users wants from the site, what the user will need and the amount of content.

When I first thought about designing this page for Elif, I immediately began dreaming up how it would look.  I was excited about colors and started looking up how other make up sites looked without considering the content.  Every article I read and the lecture we had to watch on Adobe TV emphasized that you should not make the content fit into the design, the design should fit the content.

The other important lesson I learned in the vein of print versus web is that print media is static and the web is fluid.  Being a “fine artist” you can completely control the “layout” of your work.  You can create a page break and indent, the exact size of the font, the size of the page and the user can only read.  On the internet, the user can manipulate certain aspects of your page through their browser or just using their fingers to increase the font/page size.  You have to take this into consideration and create your page to be adaptable.  This reinforces the idea that the designer should focus on the intent/function first.

My perspective on this project has definitely changed as we move along.  As a result, what I have in mind for the site is changing as well.