Week 9…Getting one step closer.

What I learned from this module’s assignments is that you want the design to be somewhat predictable and consistent for the user interaction.

This ran contradictory to my initial impression of what the “design” of a site should be about.  In my original storyboards, I had navigation links on the right side of the page and then would switch it up on another page of the site because I didn’t want it to feel monotonous.  It just felt like it would be so boring!  But after watching a video on Adobe and reading a few articles, I realized that by making it predictable you are really making it intuitive for the user.  They don’t have to think about how to navigate, which allows them to give full attention to the content.

The pretty part should be in the aesthetics – but don’t mess with the interface.  No one likes a site that is complicated or hard to use.  If I get frustrated with a site, I just google what I’m looking for and go to another site.

So the other main thing that I am starting to understand is that print and web are totally different.  What I thought would look good on paper, ends up looking like too much on the screen.  I realized this when I started making a Style Tile of the colors and fonts I wanted to use.

Here are pictures of the storyboard compared to the Style Tile:

Storyboard for the Bio Page

Storyboard for the Bio Page

Style Tile

Style Tile

For example, I originally thought that I would make actual squares as buttons for the links.  But when I tried it out on the page it looked unnecessary.  I thought that just using the word itself was cleaner – and everyone knows that you click on the links.  When you are staring at a white page, it feels empty.  When I look up at a screen the small details just seem unnecessary.  It’s counterintuitive to how I like things to look on paper, but I realize now it is a different medium and I will just get used to it with practice.


The Fake Resume!

We’ve been working on an online resume, and while it is not my real resume, it has been interesting to see this come together.  We had to base a color scheme
off of a picture we liked, which I then uploaded to the Kuler website.  The site took colors from the image to create a color scheme.  Using Kuler to create the scheme was interesting and easy.

I have to admit that while Stargazer Lilies are my favorite flower, that I am not crazy about the scheme.  If I had taken more time in the picture choice I probably would have picked another color scheme – the picture we have taken or a work we created.  But here is the a page.

While this is a real basic page, it is encouraging to see immediate results.  I didn’t think that after 3 weeks, I’d make this much progress!

My First Web Page (aka Week 2 Summary)

Well, creating a page was a little easier than I thought.  Once you practice using the code and get a feel for things, it’s not so bad.  I say this, but I made a very, very, very basic page.  It reminds me of math, you have to be very specific with your coding-following the formulas to get what you want.  I downloaded a free text editor, Text Wrangler (the icon is to the right), to help write the coding for the page.  This also really helped me understand how the internet really works.  You read about it in a book and understand that it is an exchange of files from one server to your computer, but actually making a webpage really helps you see how much work goes into making a website.

We also spent a lot of time reading about color.  I love everything about color – nothing inspires me more than colors.  So this topic was also very interesting to me.  I had used Adobe Kuler for a previous class, but reading about different color schemes in our book helped me to understand how to put Kuler to better use.  I find this class very interesting so far and am excited to keep learning.